Monday, March 31, 2014

Chapter: Uni is Awesome

So while Jed was sleeping off his big freak out, Ally and I check out the house.  It’s way bigger than Jed’s Grandpa’s place. Like, way.  Like there’s actually rooms, and stuff.  And we don’t have to eat outside.

Ally takes the small room in the back, and Jed and I take the big room in the front.  Mostly cause that’s where Jed crashed.  And also, there’s a bed that doesn’t eat people, ha.



There’s like a shiny kitchen and a big refrigerator.  Ally opens it and like, shakes her head and says, “I hate these new refrigerators, man, all these vegetable drawers and no room for brew.”  We keep looking.

There’s like a big living room and … still no TV.  WTF.  Who are these people, man, no TV.  I hope at least they have a garden, ha.  So we go outside to check out the yard.  Like, it’s huge, but there’s no garden.  “Dude”, I say.  “There is no garden.  That is so sad.”

Ally says, “I’m on it”.  We keep looking.  There’s like bikes for all of us and bike racks.  Awesome.  No more bus.  There’s also like, a garage.  Ally’s like, “Do you think he got a car?” and we go in.



Phew. It smells like old stuff.  There’s no car.  But there is, like, a gas station toilet, and some old books, and a table.  And like a lounge chair, with like a hair dryer on it.  There’s a TV on the wall, but it just gets the Uni channel, and there’s no remote, lame.  There’s like a bunch of cabinets.  I open them, but there’s just like junk in there.



“BREW FRIDGE!”  Ally runs over to check it out, she’s like pfft.  “Empty.  Well, we’ll fix that.”  Then she looks at me.  “Tair.  We should like, smoke in here.” 

Oh, yeah. At Jed’s Grandpa’s place, we used to smoke outside, cause Jed hates the smell.  But it gets cold in East Midcentralburg at night, man.  Inside would be much cozier – whoa.  There’s like a No Smoking sign on the wall.  I point.



“Exactly”, she says.  Ha.  Fist bump.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jed and I got invited to a mixer. Which like, sounds lame, but before we had our fight, Bree said to go, like there’s free stuff.  So then Ally comes with us to this mixer thing.  “Freebies. I’m there.”  But when we get there she like grabs a footie sack, and looks around and says, “Hey.  This is pretty student-y. I’ll, uh, see ya later.”



Dunno what she’s doing.



Anyway, Jed and me, we go upstairs to the mixer.  They don’t have brew, lame, but they have energy drinks.  So we have a few.  Jed so he can study, and me so I can like meet all the chicks, ha.



Well JED’S happy.

Finally some other people come in...and it's Bree. She said she'd be here, but like, working.  She's not in the llama suit today, though.  She stops when she sees me.  Jed goes like "eep" and heads for the video games, while Bree walks over.

"Hey", she says.

"Hey", I say.  Is she still mad?

"Ohhhhh....I was so gonna still be mad", she says.










But no. Gotcha.

She says she wants to take me to dinner, later.  I was like, hey, check out the new house, cause like there’s a new bed that might not kill us, ha.  But she’s like, no.

“Let me take you out, Tarik.  We need to talk”, she says.  Then she like kisses me again – just a little one this time – and then she’s like, “Working” and she runs downstairs.

Well, free food. I guess I can talk a little for free food, ha.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




So one good thing about the mixer being lame, Jed’s not freaked out all day.  He’s like, almost happy.  And he’s good at ping pong, who knew.

“Want to play again?” he says.

“Best 5 of 6”, I say.

“5 of 9”, Jed says.

“Whatever”, I say, “I’m gonna win all the rest.”

“Statistically unlikely”, says Jed. “I win at something else too.”

Wow he’s almost…cocky.  Who knew.  “What’s that?”  I say.

“Chicks”, he says.

Yeah no. “I don’t THINK SO…”

“It’s chicks.  Look”, he says.



Oh. Huh.

So Jed and I play some more, but then Jed doesn’t want to go for best 9 of 10.  Whatever. So we go eat and then we go home.  I guess Ally didn’t get lucky cause like, she’s already home when we get there. 

Jed says, “All right, Tair, now we should study”.

"Dude. Seriously. We did that in high school.", I say.

"But Tair!  Class starts tomorrow! We just have time to ...", Jed's like on a roll.

But then Ally’s like, “Hey Tair, let’s check out the garage”, and she’s winking at me.  I hope this means what I think it means, ha.

“Hey, uh, Jed, we’re uh, gonna, like, check out the garage”, I say.

He looks at me, and then Ally, and then me. “Does that mean smoke?”, he says.

I’m like, ha.

Jed kind of shudders. "No way, man. You guys can have the garage.  I'll be in here. STUDYING!" and he’s like books off with his book...

...while Ally and I book for the garage.  NOT with a book, ha. Ally gets there first.  She opens the door like, “TA DA” and shit.



Whoa!  This is like, more like it.  There’s some chairs and shit and a TV thank DUB and she put up our Moronic Trio poster from the Valley and that’s cool but OH MY DUB there’s a bong. Like, a big ass bong.

“Ally!” 

She shrugs. “Happy college, little bro.”  Then she opens the refrigerator.  It’s now full of brew.  “Now THAT’s a brew fridge.”  She grabs a couple and hands me one.  Then she like winks at me and says, “Also. There is a planter outside your room, man.  In case you want to grow anything.”

Uni. Is. Awesome.

Even if I have to go to class tomorrow.


15 comments:

  1. Oh, Tarik is in heaven. I think I most happy that there isn't a bed that can eat him, though I am very suspicious of the inventing table--I am so afraid he's going to get himself killed.

    Gah, Bree needs to talk? About what? I want to knoooooow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Official spoilers here: no more Murphy beds! At least for Tarik, lol. As for the inventing table..what could possibly be dangerous about an inventing table?

      ...what? you weren't expecting BREE spoilers, were you? :)

      Delete
  2. Oh Tarik! (Hmmm, it seems that's my new catch phrase.) And Poor Jed for having to room with Tarik again, especially with his fear of females (other than Ally.)

    Gah! That mandatory mixer is so lame. And it looks like they all figured that out fairly quickly. Except, what's this? Bree? Still in work mode, but okay with Tarik after all? And then needing to talk??? Is Tarik the one in for a surprise from her, or is she in for one from him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jed and Tarik are somewhat co-dependent. They don't really mind each other in the way that other people might. They're kind of the unit of "Jed and Tair" and that's just how it is and that's who they are and they're good with it.

      I probably won't have an opportunity to work this in to the story, but want to address it because of something that happens in a few chapters...Jed's aversion to same-age females is pretty much like his fear of everything else, it's a reaction to childhood trauma. His chief tormentors - after Tarik stopped tormenting him, that is - were his sister and his (same-age) aunt and their coven...er, classmates. Ally's older, he's never had a problem with her, and he doesn't have a problem with older women in general. I don't think Tarik understands most of this so I had to say it :) Thanks for giving me a chance!

      Bree's in work mode and shouldn't really be spending time with Tarik, but somehow she does anyway. I'm not sure how to answer your last question, but the answer is probably "yes" - several times.

      Delete
    2. Ah! I didn't realize Tarik didn't quite understand the root of Jed's aversion.

      Lol! Too many yes's then! Can't wait to see it.

      Delete
  3. "We need to talk?" Breakup or pregnant maybe? Please be pregnant....
    Tarik liking the bikes, that's was unexpected. Hemp.. sorry, I meant planting herbs and bikes, he's probably interested in the big enviromental issues then.... We'll go for that.
    I have to say, this must be the best description of life at university I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, my first pregnancy rumor!

      Tarik hates the bus more than Tarik likes the bikes, to be honest. But Tarik is a little more athletic than I've shown you, I'll have to work that in.

      Thank you!

      Delete
  4. The contrast between Tarik and Jed is great, although I do kind of hope Tarik will find something he wants to do at some point despite how entertaining his lack of ambition is :)

    Bree is back, yay, and she wants to see Tarik :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope Tarik will, too, but, the dice, the dice, those @#$% dice. :)

      Tarik is always good at keeping himself amused, lol. And probably *SPOILERS* not headed for the CEO track :)

      Delete
  5. I think I'm being too much of a drama fanatic when I think the fact that Bree 'wants to talk' is a little ominous (I think that's the right word...) Based on she said she wanted to have a sex only relationship.

    Jed is my favourite, sorry <3 I think he's adorable in his own quirky way. He's so cute, and that episode with his lucky hat <3 loved it!

    I hope Tarik finds something he wants to do, and if it is growing herbs, than at least he can find something that he'll love. I doubt he's all too passionate about art.

    Bikes and drugs? I think he'd like Amsterdam ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure Tarik would LOVE Amsterdam :)

      I'm glad you're enjoying reading about Jed. He has a special place in my Watcher heart :)

      You all are keeping me honest regarding Tarik's future, lol. I've made adjustments next chapter :)

      I think you've picked up that Bree wants to have a serious talk with Tarik. Tarik hasn't...

      Delete
  6. Hmm, why might Bree want to take Tarik to dinner? 'We need to talk'...always ominous words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hehe :) I love Tarik. Right little party boy! I wonder if whatever Bree has to say will wake him up a little? Somethings gotta give at some point or we'll never have a gen 2!
    ...Well, we will, but not with a decent set of parents...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spot on. "At some point" might not be right away.

      Delete